Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Urban self-absorption.

I left work today, clattered down the stairs to the A/C/E train entrance at 35th and 8th, swiped my MetroCard, did a few more sets of stairs, and then waited. And waited.

The A finally arrived, and I turned toward the nearest set of doors. They opened, and the 4 people standing nearby and I tried to pile on. The car wasn't that crowded - the seats were full, but there was more than enough standing room. The five of us should've been able to pile on with minimal fuss.

Except for the Group of Four Morons. They had latched onto the pole nearest to the door and were.not.moving. I am assuming they're from out of town, because I really don't want to believe that there's someone living in this city who hasn't gotten the "move to the center of the car" memo already.

I was the last to shove onto the train, and I might have been less than careful as I passed behind/elbowed past their little foursome. I might have shifted my weight at just the right moment to subtly express my irritation at their idiocy.

Of course, I'm sure they didn't get it, based upon the way they were looking at anyone on the train who was "scary" (i.e., didn't look exactly like them). Idiots. Idiots everywhere. Can't they stay on the Times Square Shuttle and leave me to commute in peace?

No comments: