I had a fantastic weekend.
Well, except for yesterday. But we'll get to that later. For now, let's discuss last Friday.
I left work on Friday and headed for Proof - the official game-watching site for the New York Texas Exes.
Unfortunately, due to Tim's misfortune of being stuck at work late on a Friday, we missed the open bar. However, given the obscene number of people in the bar, I doubt we'd have gotten more than 1 drink apiece, so it wasn't the loss you might think it was.
That game? Was amazing. I will readily admit that I was waiting for a Miami game repeat (Texas holds substantial lead, then Texas blows substantial lead and nearly loses in the last ten minutes of the game). When things were holding steady at a 20 point discrepancy with 2 minutes to go, I breathed a sigh of relief.
I don't even want to know how many fire codes were violated at the bar that night - it was so packed that I never actually ordered a drink. Instead, I tapped the guy standing in front of me on the shoulder.
"Hey - I can't exactly get to the bar - would you mind ordering two Bud Lights for me?"
He obliged. I passed him my credit card, and he played middleman to beers and bar tabs. I would've bought him a beer to say "thanks", but the game ended and the crowd cleared out too quickly.
One of his friends made me simultaneously laugh and groan, though, and I have to share the story. I was talking to Tim about the fact that I was excited to be in Austin this coming weekend in the event that Texas made it to the Final Four (oh, how naive I was), and mentioned that I might try to get tickets to the games if they did make it.
He asked why I wouldn't get them regardless, and I said "Because I'm lazy, and I don't want to trek back and forth to San Antonio and miss out on seeing people in Austin if Texas isn't playing."
He nodded his agreement. The beer guy's friend overheard the conversation, and bolted around to face us.
"Did you say San Antonio?"
"Yeah, I was talking about how I'll be in Austin next weekend, and might drive down there for the games if I can get tickets."
"Oh, see, we're from San Antonio, so I thought you might be too. We NEVER run into people from San Antonio. I don't think there are any others in this city."
I considered the fact that we were jammed into a bar with 200 University of Texas graduates, a school that is comprised of something like 90% in-state students.
"Well, yeah, except for probably here. Since it's an Exes event and all."
He didn't seem to get the joke.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment