I was walking through the Times Square station on Saturday, heading for the shuttle back to the east side (where I was staying this weekend - more on that later). We passed a few musicians, and I noticed a rather large group of high school aged kids and a few adults - since it's Spring Break, it's not unusual to see groups like that around the city.
As we passed by, I noticed the letter jacket that one kid had draped over his arm. It was kelly green with an orchestra patch on the sleeve, and the wheels in my head started turning. I thought about the fact that my high school's colors are kelly green and white. I thought about the fact that my high school orchestra does a trip to New York every four years - a tradition that started when I was a senior in 2000.
I looped behind the group after telling my cohort that I thought it was my high school's orchestra (he snorted and openly mocked me), looking to see if I could spot their conductor - a woman I've known since I was 12. Sure enough, there she was at the back of the group.
I tapped her on the shoulder, and she was completely shocked.
New York - millions of people, and then something like that happens. And it was on the heels of running into my roommate's brother as I was getting off of the downtown 5 and he was trying to board the same car the night before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
God that is why I love New York so much, its so hge but people are still so connected, its crazy.
I'm shocked Keefer was walking with them.
She took cabs the entire time we were on our New York trip
This happens ALL the time...
Post a Comment