Saturday, March 29, 2008

Did that really just happen?

I got home from watching Texas beat the snot out of Stanford tonight, did some laundry while nicely buzzed, then decided I was hungry. I ordered a pizza and a soda from Papa Johns (I'm sorry, I know that this is New York, but bite me). I waited.

30 minutes later, they delivered it.

First, the idiot delivery guy leaned on the buzzer for a good 30 seconds. After I buzzed him in, he apparently didn't react, because he proceeded to hit the buzzer for ANOTHER 30 seconds.

He gets to our floor, and instead of using those deductive reasoning skills to ascertain that if there are 4 apartments, and 3 of them are labled with numbers that do NOT correspond to my apartment, mine is probably the blank one. Nope, instead, he stands in the hall and yells.

I open the door. He's standing there with a box - just the box. Nothing to keep the pizza warm. No soda. Just a box.

"They forgot your Sprite."

(blank stare on my part)

"Uh... ok."

"We're closed. This is the last one."

(thinking that they are actually open until 2AM)

"Um. Well, I kind of paid for it. So, that kind of needs to be addressed."

(also thinking about the fact that delivery people actually pack their own orders, so there was no "they" involved in the forgotten Sprite)

"Well, we're closed."

(thinking "I can't believe I gave this guy a $2.50 tip already.")

"Whatever."

I took the pizza and closed the door.

Ten seconds later, he knocks. At least this time he knocked instead of yelling.

I opened the door.

"You forgot to sign."

(thinking that since he never actually gave me a receipt to sign, it'd be difficult for me to have forgotten)

"Um. Ok."

He then threw the receipt at me. And then stabbed my hand with the pen (albeit lightly). Since I can't grasp things with the top of my hand, it fell. So he THREW THE GODDAMN PEN AT ME.

I had had it. That was it. I've worked in multiple service industry positions in my lifetime - bartending, cocktail waitressing, regular waitressing - you name it, I've done it. You name a shitty customer stereotype, I've dealt with it. I treat people with the utmost respect as a result.

You throw a motherfucking pen at me? Oh hell no.

I scribbled something (after toying w/ the idea of refusing to sign, since it's not like the delivered what I was paying for), and (in a moment i'm half ashamed of and half absolutely not regretting) I tossed the pen to him instead of handing it back.

Then I let the door slam, and he yelled "FUCK YOU."

I turned to my roommate, who was sitting on the couch, and said "Did that just happen?"

Her jaw was on the floor.

It's going to be a really fun call to Papa Johns corporate tomorrow.

No comments: